|B1 – descriptions of competence
- Can understand the main points of clear standard communication on matters regularly encountered in social roles, work, school, leisure, education and training.
- Can convey information, feelings and opinions on familiar topics, using appropriate formality.
- Can engage in discussion in a familiar situation making relevant points and responding to reach a shared understanding.
- Can deal with most situations likely to arise whilst travelling in an area where the language is spoken.
- Can produce a simple connected text on topics which are familiar or of personal interest, adapting to the intended audience.
- Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes and ambitions and briefly give explanations for opinions and plans.
|B2 – descriptions of competence
- Can understand the main ideas of complex communication on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in his/her field of specialisation.
- Can communicate with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes interaction quite possible without strain for either party.
- Can adapt to take account of the listener(s), the context and the medium.
- Can engage in discussion in familiar and unfamiliar situations making clear and relevant contributions.
- Can obtain information from different sources.
- Can communicate clearly and in detail on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options, varying length, format and style appropriate to purpose and audience.
B1 Sample Tests:
B2 Sample Tests:
* The above descriptions are adapted from the global description of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. Text from these is reproduced by kind permission of the Council of Europe.
Back to Sample Papers